Topband: Updated K9YC common-mode choke PDF now available

Jim Garland 4cx250b at miamioh.edu
Sun Feb 3 12:01:16 EST 2019

Guy, I agree in principle that coax with a stranded center conductor will be more flexible than coax with a solid conductor, although in applications where there is mechanical stress on the coax, coax with a solid steel core will be significantly stronger than its stranded counterpart.

However, I think you are overstating the supposed weakness of RG142b, which appears to be identical to RG400, except for having a silver plated steel inner conductor. As a test, I took an eight inch length of new RG142b and bent it in a U-shape (about a 1/4 inch diameter) back and forth sixty times, measuring the continuity between the ends. Afterwards, I cut away the shield and dielectric to expose the solid inner conductor, which showed no perceived wear or damage. Afterwards, I continued to flex the bare inner conductor with the dielectric and shields cut away and it finally broke after twenty additional flexes (70 in all). Frankly, I was surprised at how well the coax held up under this abuse. It would be interesting to conduct the same test with RG400. Note that both types of coax are specified for a 1 inch minimum bending radius, which I believe to be an excessively conservative rating.

My little test greatly exceeded demands placed on the coax in any normal application, such as winding a choke or toroid, or routing RF around an amplifier. I have also used RG142b jumpers in my station for many years with no problems. However, the coax is relatively stiffer than, say, RG58, so I'd guess the more flexible RG400 is better for that purpose. Because of its strength, RG142B would be desirable for long outdoor runs where the coax is self-supporting. Basically, however, both RG142B and RG400 are very rugged and excellent for almost any amateur use, and both are vastly superior to RG58 and its variants in almost any application.

73.

Jim W8ZR