Topband: Topband Phenomenon

Paul Kiesel k7cw at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 3 14:10:25 EST 2019

 I don't have an explanation for this, but I had a similar experience during the contest. My receiveantenna is an unterminated BOG running alongside the road in front. I struggled to get F4HEC's call because he was so weak. He persisted and I finally got it. He was the first European that I heard in the contest. When we finished the QSO, EI0R dumped his call and he was 579. Unbelievable because I almost never hear Europe on 160 CW. I gave him a report and turned it back. By then he was barely copyable as his signal had dropped back down to the noise floor and I never heard him again. I managed to work several other Europeans whose calls I had to work at digging out. I would say conditions were generally good for me to hear those European stations, but the momentary signal from EI0R was very strong and unexpected.
73, Paul K7CW