Topband: When is coax 'contaminated' beyond use?

terry burge ki7m at comcast.net
Sun Feb 3 22:54:54 EST 2019

Hi Folks,

A few years back some 9913 I was using apparently got water in the coax. I say this because of fluctuating SWR issues and I noted the shield when cut into was almost 'black'. So for my minor purpose of using spare coax for my dump power on an 80 meter 4-square can some of this coax be used? When I scrap the shield after exposing it with a knife will reveal the shinny copper again so is that sufficient to use some for reading dump power on my wattmeter at the shack? Seems if I try and get readings like what I had with the LMR-400 then it could be used. Coax is so expensive these days I want to use my valuable LMR-400 elsewhere if possible. And having a convenient way of reading dump power is of course important too.

Terry

KI7M