Topband: ARRL DX Contest

W7RH midnight18 at cox.net
Sun Feb 17 20:47:24 EST 2019

Group,

Saturday evening conditions redeemed themselves as if they knew they
were getting bad mouthed by me. Eastern Europe made it out west starting
around 0400 moving west until EU sunrise 0800 when they were finally
shut out. Signals were not super strong but even with low power many
answered on just one or two calls. All considered it was a darned good
opening here. Nothing however compared to what I heard and worked during
an opening when the VP6D operation was  in swing. I made a recording
that evening of the EU pileup the rivaled 20 meters. Propagation path
moved in a counter clockwise circle from eastern Mediterranean Ocean,
the Baltic's then moving to Northern EU, Poland, Sweden followed by The
British Islands, France, Spain, Portugal, Western Mediterranean and West
Africa. Of note, the usual eastern EU power house stations were
non-existent to my ears. Neither were central EU.

The Auroral oval ring had a gaping hole in it last night allowing me to
slip a signal into Western EU. :)

At that point I grabbed some sleep and came back at 1200 UTC for Asia.
The final 2 hours netted just three JA and Kim, HL5IVL. Alternately
beaming SW and NW produced no VK or ZL.

For me this particular contest is a Top Band dream. It has low levels of
QRM and good activity worldwide. When the band is open this contest is
very special and opportunity for many to work some new ones.

Operating low power I only called CQ in the morning on the western paths
with 90% of my operating time S&P.

Thanks to those who responded. I expect some broken calls as my network
link was experiencing some dramatic intermittent  latency and jitter all
evening busting my TX sending.

73

Bob, W7RH

160m the Magic Band

--
W7RH DM35os

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity." - Albert Einstein