Topband: Topband Digest, Vol 194, Issue 21

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Tue Feb 19 19:25:36 EST 2019

On 2/19/2019 10:13 AM, Jay Terleski wrote:
> The SAL-30 will be fine in a forested plot.
> Nothing unstabel with the pattern or performance as it is a very mature
> deisgn that does not push the paramaters of the preamp.  The nice thing
> about it is it also forms the pattern before any gain stages so there is no
> mixing or IMD of AM or SW broadcast.  My HI-Z Four Square always had high
> IMD and birdies from the local AM stations here in DFW.  The SAL has a
> built in AM BCB high pass filter too before the preamp. As the magic T
> Jay Terleski
> Array Solutions
> 214 954 7140

Jay has given us an excellent tutorial on the tradeoffs
between arrays of active elements and arrays of passive
elements.  My QTH is 6 miles from a 50 kW BCB station
so active whips are useless.  AFAIK, you can't put
a filter in front of them, and in any event you would
need N matched filters.  Very well explained.  First
form a pattern, second filter out BCB, third go through
a preamp.  Ready, aim, fire...

Rick N6RK