Topband: Thanks

Tree tree at kkn.net
Sun Feb 24 13:09:33 EST 2019

Back in 1990, I lived about 30 minutes from 4U1ITU and put about 25K QSOs
in their log during my 14 month stay.  I remember operating the ARRL 160
contest and giving out a few QSOs.  They each were like pulling teeth.

160CW   1-Dec-90 05:28    1  K5NA/2         599
160CW   1-Dec-90 05:32    2  W1PH           599
160CW   1-Dec-90 05:44    3  K1ZM           599
160CW   1-Dec-90 06:01    4  KZ2S           599
160CW   1-Dec-90 06:19    5  NK1K           599
160CW   1-Dec-90 06:21    6  G0AWF          599
160CW   1-Dec-90 06:25    7  K2WI           599

The QTH is no doubt very noisy - even more than before.  I don't remember a
tram back then.  The other issue with the station is the path towards the
USA is pretty poor.  There are the Jura mountains right in the way.  Lake
Geneva is nestled between the Jura and the Alps.  The QTH I had at home was
right against the Alps - and I have better success working the West Coast
long path on 40 than I did short path.

For us on the West coast - it would take one of those nights where we can
work several layers deep into Europe - which is a pretty rare event.  Then
- that would have to be coupled with someone being focused on the band on
the other end.  Probably the best hope would be for some European station
who is normally active on 160 to be able to commute to the station when
they are aware conditions are excellent.  This was a possibility when
Pierre, HB9AMO was on the band some 30 years ago (Pierre was the first
signal I ever heard from Europe back in 1986 from Oregon - I heard
"9AMO").

Sadly - that sort of puts it in the same class as working C31 or 3A - which
would probably take a DX-pedition to with big antennas to make it out West
and focused operating over a two week period during good conditions.

Tree N6TR/7
Manning, OR