Topband: FCP vs Gull Wing Elevated Radials

K4SAV RadioXX at charter.net
Fri Jul 26 22:33:56 EDT 2019

K2AV said:
"Measured resonance of a fixed length gave us velocity factor (VF) and
other data. VF's based on those measurements ranged from 45% to 85%.
That huge variability certainly explained the BOG experience, and
suggested a solution, but that's another subject."

When I did those tests at my house the velocity factor of a dipole on
the ground was usually about 65% but many times there was no resonance
at all, so no way to calculate velocity factor.  Total impedance was
usually 400 to 600 ohms but resistance and reactance were all over the
place.  That dipole was tested on the ground at various times over a one
month period and never moved.  I can only guess that must have been due
to variations in ground moisture content.

I was also trying to use that data to help explain BOG performance, but
I didn't have much success.

Jerry, K4SAV