Topband: 30-Foot Vertical

Dave Heil k8mn at frontiernet.net
Tue Jun 4 16:52:32 EDT 2019

During my 1988-1989 stint as J52US in Guinea-Bissau and 1990-1991 stay
as 9L1US, I made loads of QSO's in pile-ups and contests with a modified
Butternut HF-2V.?? I bought larger tubing for the top section and moved
the top-loading wires higher.?? The antenna then worked well on 160 and
80 and was not resonant on 40m.?? In both places the antenna was high--on
top of a five story building with radials running on the roof and
running down several stories to warehouse roof in Guinea-Bissau and on
the flat roof of a three story apartment building atop one of the
highest hills overlooking Freetown in Sierra Leone.?? In both places I
had a tri-bander on several sections of tower on the roofs as well.

I made contacts from Helsinki in the mid-1980's with the same antenna
(stock) but without as much success and again in the mid-1990's with it
modified per the African variant but on the roof of a two-story building.

You might do pretty well with some top-loading wires and perhaps you
could use a mast to give it a little more height.

73,

Dave K8MN

On 04-Jun-19 19:14, Mark - N5OT wrote:
> Hi Roy - you mean for 160 meters??? I think there are plenty of
> credible ways to cobble odd pieces of tower together to make a useful
> antenna, especially if climbing it is never something you need to do,
> and if it crashed to the ground it's not that big a deal.
>
> If you're asking if a 30 foot vertical can be made to be useful on 160
> meters, I think, depending on the definition of "useful" the answer
> can definitely be YES and I can think of a whole lot of QSOs that have
> been made with verticals about that tall.
>
> 73 - Mark N5OT
>

> On 6/4/2019 8:41 AM, Roy Morgan wrote:
>> Hello Topbanders,
>>
>> I have three 10-fot sections of triangular steel tower, about 8
>> inches on a side.
>>
>> Is it practical for me to make a useful vertical with these, either
>> bottom fed or gamma matched?
>>
>> Thanks for advice or experience.
>>

>> Roy Morgan
>> K1LKY since 1958