Topband: 7P8 last night

Roger D Johnson n1rj at roadrunner.com
Thu Mar 14 16:54:36 EDT 2019

I worked them at 0402Z for number 300 on Top Band! Yea! I was beginning
to get worried!

The evening was notable in that I saw three different propagation modes
here in SW Maine.

The first, beginning at about my sunset, 7P was weak and fading in and
out of the noise. Not hearing any NA (note at end).

The second, closer to his SR, signal became very much stronger but sounded
very "choppy" making copy difficult. Again no NA worked.

The third, near his SR, The choppiness disappeared and he was armchair
copy 569/579. It was at this time that I worked him. He went on to work
several NA stations.

Note: Herb, KV4FZ, worked him during the first phase. Herb said he was
579 in VI but not workable just north in W4 land! I believe Herb was the
first NA in the log.

73, Roger