Topband: 7P8LB in the “Capital of lightning”

Michael Tope W4EF at dellroy.com
Wed Mar 20 00:11:09 EDT 2019

Rune

I made a recording of what you sounded like on the night of March 15
(UTC) in California. My receive antenna was nothing special - just some
unknown combination of my transmit antenna (55 ft top-loaded vertical)
and a 20ft top loaded vertical (one element of a W8JI Rx four square)
mixed together with a MFJ-1026 noise canceller. I was in a hotel room in
VE3 operating remotely when I made the recording, so I couldn't check
the adjustments of the MFJ-1026.

When I first heard you, your signal was so loud I wondered if it might
be from a pirate. When you faded at your sunrise, however, I knew I was
dealing with the real thing (or a really clever pirate).

In the recording you'll hear me bouncing back and forth between your Tx
frequency and the pileup. A truly amazing opening. You (and others)
should be able to download the recording here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f3g2wa1f7bdk9vb/HRD%202019-03-15%207P8LB-SWL%201824r5%200405%20UTC.mp3?dl=0

73, Mike W4EF/6 (& /VE3)......