Topband: 160m Conditions Last Night

David Olean k1whs at metrocast.net
Tue Nov 12 16:18:29 EST 2019

Funny, but I was QRV on 160 and found conditions rather poor here in
Maine. Very few signals heard and what I did hear seemed a bit on the
weak side. (SM4CAN and DL8DAS among others.)  I heard Joel W5ZN work
Europe and I swear he was hearing better than I was. His 579 was a
stretch here with the SM4. I sent 549 when I worked Kent and I had to
repeat my call a second time so he got it correctly. I heard VE6WZ
calling the same stations and was amazed that he had good conditions
while I was struggling with sub par condx. I think my receive setup is
all working OK.  The South was definitely the place to be.  A was 3 and
K was 1 so things should have been good here, but you never can tell
until you start calling!  I use a single vertical and a bunch of
beverages in the woods.

Very interesting evening.  I QSYed up to the dreaded FT8 part of the
band afterward, and heard much activity. I worked a few stations then
went QRT.

Dave K1WHS