Topband: Saturday Night

g3nkc g3nkc at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Nov 25 10:17:57 EST 2019

Just waiting for my flight back From GD.Whenever I ran, we had immense pile ups, seems that there is less discipline each year.  It can be frustrating in EU for us too  , I am betting some dx would have called me  , but wouldn't have got through the wall.I did work FY5, CX6, KP2, KP3,  JT5, PJ4, V47, and all US zones.Couldn't raise HI3CC, C6AGU, or ZW5BI think 160 was in good shape. 73 Dave G3NKC  / MD4K Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
-------- Original message --------From: Roger Kennedy <roger at wessexproductions.co.uk> Date: 25/11/2019  14:49  (GMT+00:00) To: topband at contesting.com Subject: Topband: Saturday Night I too came on for a couple of hours on 160m during the CQ WW . . .Top Band wasn't at all noisy here in Europe, although conditions weren'tnearly as good as during the week - most signals were about 15dB down.I worked everyone I could hear (about 20 NA stations, and a couple ofCaribbeans) . . . but as Dave G3NKC posted, the problem is that there aredozens of very strong Europeans on the band (some S9 +40dB with me!), sopicking out the weak DX signals in-between can be hard work, even with goodfilters ! (especially as they weren't as strong as normal)That's the problem with Top Band, even compared to 80m, there's no Skip, soyou hear everyone on the band ! (on 80m even other Gs can sometimes be quiteweak . . . but that never happens on 160m)Actually I heard several other NA stations . . . including K1WHS . . . butthey were calling EU stations, so I couldn't call them. If they had calledCQ I'm sure I could have worked them.  (I didn't want to put out a CQ callmyself, as I would have had hundreds of EU stations calling me! Do you thinkyou can call CQ DX during a Contest?!))Roger G3YRO_________________Searchable Archives: http://www.contesting.com/_topband - Topband Reflector