Topband: AS / EU QRM - The Cocktail Party Effect

David Olean k1whs at metrocast.net
Mon Nov 25 14:13:28 EST 2019

OK I guess the problem is QRM levels in EU.  The CQ WW weekend is a big
difference from a typical Wednesday or Thursday evening. I was just
getting paranoid when many stations in a row could not copy me while I
was hearing them with great signals and 559 to 589.  I am thinking that
maybe my Europe beverage is working very well. It is long at about
1100-1200 ft (350M) and consists of two sets of wires spaced 400 ft
apart. (120M)  We had terrific winds on Friday night and I was not QRV
but wondered if any trees had fallen in the woods due to the high winds.
I had just fixed all my receive wires two weeks ago. I walked along my
beverage wires today, and found a huge tree had fallen across my South
beverage and broken the wire. It also ripped the termination off the far
end.  Next I found another tree that managed to fall across both the
South beverage as well as one of my Europe beverages. I had to get the
chainsaw out and now I have a full pickup truck load of firewood and the
two antennas are working well again. I also had a tree across the JA
beverage.  My East, Southwest, and West wires all were OK. There are a
few more I have not gotten to yet. Maintaining wires in the woods is
never ending!

On Saturday night, I saw no problem with the EU wires or the JA wire (It
works well towards Hawaii and CA) even though they had problems. I did
sense that my South wire was not so hot. No wonder, it was broken in
half and laying on the ground with no termination on the southern end.
The EU wire seemed OK to me even with a tree across it. Same with the JA
wire.  Oh well, at least I got some firewood out of the deal.

73

Dave K1WHS