Topband: Computer noise

GGLL guiye8 at aol.com
Tue Nov 26 17:16:55 EST 2019

Cheap power supplies lack mains input filtering at the PCB, that is, at
least one mixed or common mode inductor, three or four capacitors, a
couple of resistors.

The best ones also add a similar filter between mains chassis socket and
the PCB.

These cheap power supplies run the mains straight through to the fuse,
the inrush ntc, then to the rectifier bridge. Some times they add a 2n2
disc capacitor at the HV DC output.

That's why even if you turn off (well, standby) the computer, it is
still generating noise, using your cable and mains wiring as antenna.

Even if you fix  your power supply adding these missing components,
what's going on with your neighbor's computers?.

Regards
Guillermo - LU5WE.