Topband: Hardening the 8 Circle Receiving Array

Mark Robinson markrob at mindspring.com
Thu Oct 17 20:53:32 EDT 2019

I  have the DX Engineering 8 circle receiving array sized for 80/160m .
It has been a fantastic performer but I have suffered damage to the
active antenna amplifiers on two separate occasions due to nearby
lightning strikes.

I am looking at a way to protect these amplifiers.  I was wondering if I
can add a pair or  dual series pair (4 diodes in total) of back to back
diodes - say 1N3600,  across the input to ground terminals on each
amplifier.  Will this affect the performance of the array in any way ?

73 Mark N1UK