Topband: YCCC 9 circle preamp failure test

Lee STRAHAN k7tjr at msn.com
Tue Sep 24 15:08:46 EDT 2019

Hi Guys,
  Assuming your verticals have a very good insulator there is NOTHING to stop that input capacitor from charging to very high like kilovolt static voltage levels. What I don’t understand is why leakage in that capacitor would cause any trouble or differences if it were not even there.  All that would happen is the vertical would assume about 5 volts DC on the elements. This problem rearing its head would indicate the vertical insulators or something in that path must be compromised as well. Or is the 8055 possibly going in to oscillation with a leaky connection to the element.
  Something does not add up here.??? What is the clue that tells you the capacitor has failed. Lack of performance/directivity or noise. Noise might indicate oscillation.
Lee   K7TJR
Hi-Z Antennas