Topband: CW Activity

Rick Kunath k9ao at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 8 08:40:11 EDT 2020

Roger,

Have you tried a LoG (Loop on Ground) receiving antenna? I have one here
and it works wonders.

Info at this site: http://www.kk5jy.net/LoG/

I built mine a bit larger but it's non-critical in construction. It
worked wonders for me. It's also essentially invisible too.

I wanted to try this so I got my hands on a 500 foot roll of twisted
pair doorbell wire cheaply. I paralleled the wires for the loop and
wound up using the twisted pair as a feedline to the shack. I have a 9:1
balun at the shack end. All the wire is on the ground even the feedline.
It was just a quick lash up, but it worked amazingly well. I refined the
install after that, and experimented with different sizes too. My loop
is about double the size mentioned in the article.

I was going to switch to coax buried feed and relocate the balun to the
antenna end of the feedline, but it's been working so well I never got
around to it.

It might be worth a try. There is a Facebook group on the antenna too.

Rick K9AO