Topband: Windows 10 Update heads up

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Thu Aug 13 15:35:37 EDT 2020

For Flex users:

For the second time in less than a year, a Windows 10
update disabled my Flex CAT and DAX drivers.  After hours
of time spent with Flex, I learned I am supposed to
disable auto updates.  Also, before doing
an update manually, I was supposed to uninstall the
Flex software.  Now I am told that the drivers have been
"improved" for now, but are still vulnerable depending
on Microsoft, but it "probably safe" to update without
uninstalling, as long as the Flex software is not running
at the time.  I was also told that only 2.4.10 and 2.6.2
and version 3 something are "fixed".  I was running 2.6.1.
Who knew?  Nothing up on their web site.

My new procedure will be to check for windows updates on
Monday after the contest is over and log submitted.

Last year I missed the Oct. Stew Perry on account of this.

Rick N6RK