Topband: Shunt Fed Tower SWR Troubles

Guy Olinger K2AV k2av.guy at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 15:01:37 EDT 2020

While air variables certainly do flash over, the effect is sudden, and has
no "ramping up" effect.

>From Dale's original post:  "The problem I having is that when transmitting
the SWR goes up with power
and if I key-down for very long the SWR rises rapidly and takes off."

He can observe the SWR rising. He can see the needle getting higher and
higher. Flashovers bang the needle high. The lack of "bang the needle" or
it's digital display equivalent rules out flashover, carbon arc paths.
Also, carbon arc paths, once established, tend to make the high SWR
permanent, there all the time until the problem is repaired.

The "SWR goes up with power" may indicate increasing core saturation with
power which is another finger pointed at the insufficiency of the balun in
use for a loaded tower.

73, Guy K2AV