Topband: Shunt Fed Tower SWR Troubles

Guy Olinger K2AV k2av.guy at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 21:29:53 EDT 2020

I agree about the padding caps, good addition. I know of instances of both,
fixed caps with insufficient current rating, and the balun insufficient for
160m blocking.

If the caps were starting cold, there would be some period where the SWR
was normal and then start climbing.

The 160m stressed balun would change SWR somewhat, but immediately with
increased power, indicating saturation. Then after a period of operating,
when the core reached the Curie temperature, it would fall off the table.

Once in a contest at a multi/two station, padding caps got hot and failed
in parallel with a vacuum cap being used to detune a tower. I walked
outside and was confronted by a strong acrid smell. Of such I informed the
owner who could actually see the padders being destroyed in the
dark, knowing where they were. I saw those caps a few days later, and it
was like the "Really Most Sincerely Dead" song in the Wizard of Oz.

73, Guy K2AV