Topband: Looking for user experience: DXEngineering Thunderbolt 160m vertical

David Aslin G3WGN david at aslinvc.com
Sat Dec 5 08:37:01 EST 2020

I'm building a contest station and the time has come to make a choice of 160m TX antenna. Looking at DXE Thunderbolt I note that the capacity hat extends to a significant distance down the vertical section. It's my understanding that will shield some of the radiation from the upper part of the vertical. Alternatives like a vertical tee would not have this issue.
Is my understanding correct?

I'm considering a commercial antenna as high strength telescoping antenna tubing is unobtanium in UK.  My QTH is an exposed windy location so strength matters!
73, David G3WGN M6O

Sent from my Galaxy