Topband: Looking for user experience: DXEngineering Thunderbolt 160m vertical

Dave Cuthbert telegrapher9 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 5 12:49:11 EST 2020

The DX Engineering Thunderbolt antenna includes a means to resonate and
match the antenna using a series inductor and a  shunt inductor. *It does
not require a balun*.
See the manual:
https://static.dxengineering.com/global/images/instructions/dxe-160va-1_jj.pdf

An EZNEC model shows it to be resonant at 1825 kHz with an input impedance
of *4.0 ohms*. Adding 2.5 ohms of GND + coil loss it shows a 2:1 VSWR
bandwidth of 40 kHz. This agrees with the DX Engineering SWR graph on page
43. If your installation has 2.5 ohm base referred GND/coil loss the
radiation efficiency will be ~60%.

    Dave KH6AQ