Topband: DXE Thunderbolt

Ian Fugler zen90387 at zen.co.uk
Mon Dec 7 06:54:20 EST 2020

David

I used to do exactly what you asked.  I joined a 6m aluminium scaffold pole
to an 18m Spiderpole using one of the couplers sold by Barenco
https://www.barenco.co.uk/products/brackets-clamps/pole-mounting?v=3610

I raised it exactly as you suggest, with a falling derrick.  It took less
than a minute to raise/lower it and tie off the guys in the direction of the
falling derrick.  I suggest that you guy the Spiderpole not far above the
coupler.  That reduces the stress on the fibreglass in the coupler when it's
windy, which is the weak point in that arrangement.  I was also careful not
to over tighten the bolts holding the Spiderpole in the coupler.

It worked well until I moved to the new QTH (a farm) and erected a few
towers/masts!!

73,

Ian G4iiY

Further to that scheme, is there a sound way to join a Spider pole to a
scaffold pole? The cost change from 18m Spider to the next sizes up is quite
a jump, but I've often thought an alloy scaffold pole at the base would be
worth the effort if I had a decent way to join them. I can raise the 18m
Spider pole using a falling derrick on my own and a rigid extension
underneath looks doable with help.

David G3UNA/G6CP

https://www.avg.com