Topband: 160m Band opening phenomena

Roger Kennedy roger at wessexproductions.co.uk
Wed Dec 16 07:11:42 EST 2020

Well Bob my own experience these days when working NA stations is that the
peak occurs at least 3 hours after Sunset and at least 3 hours before
Sunrise.  (and that is obviously not a Tropical path)

Years ago there was definitely a peak both at their Sunset and our Sunrise,
typically around 10dB . . . but I don't think I have noticed that for around
a decade. As mentioned previously, signals seem to actually drop off around
Sunrise (both ways)

I obviously have no idea what has brought about this change . . . just one
of the many mysteries of 160m Propagation !

Roger G3YRO