Topband: Low Dipoles

Wes wes_n7ws at triconet.org
Sun Dec 20 09:54:39 EST 2020

I have no separate RX antennas here. Still, I believe I have parity between TX
and RX performance, at least at my 500W power level.

Generally speaking, I think I have a reasonably quiet location and despite
having two acres, the siting of my house, an existing tower, the TX vertical and
neighbor's homes (noise sources) I'm left with few to no locations for an RX
antenna.  Maybe something like a K9AY but that's about it.

Now suppose I install a K9AY with its relatively broad frontal lobe.  From my
location in the far southwest of the US, the major DX center, EU, is a path over
the continental land mass of the US. With good nighttime propagation atmospheric
noise in that direction is propagated as well as signal and a "low-noise"
antenna offers no improvement, the SNR is set by the path.  The back of such
antenna is looking at the day lit Pacific Ocean.

At my sunrise, for the most part I'm looking west to NW for DX.  Noise and QRM
from the east is attenuated by sunshine and I don't need directivity.

So that's my case, again at my power level and location.  My good friend Larry,
N7DD, might argue with me but he runs a lot more power than I and has room for
much more directive RX antennas.  As the realtors say, location, location, location.

Wes  N7WS