Topband: Fw: Dacron & varmits

Charles Moizeau w2sh at msn.com
Tue Feb 18 18:20:35 EST 2020

________________________________
From: Charles Moizeau <w2sh at msn.com>
Sent: Tuesday, February 18, 2020 18:00
To: Gary at ka1j.com <Gary at ka1j.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Dacron & varmits

I have for years used the polyester (Dacron is a polyester branded by the Dupont company) products of Synthetic Textiles of Anaheim CA.  They sell directly to hams if you buy enough length.  Shorter lengths of their products are sold by DX Engineering at somewhat higher prices.

I considerably improve the outdoor durability by impregnating the ropes in a molten mixture of two parts beeswax (obtained from bee keepers) and one part paraffin (obtained from the home canning section of a supermarket.  It is important to melt these waxes in a container that is surrounded by a larger container that holds boiling water.  Do NOT set the wax container over an open flame!  I got an inexpensive set of three large stainless steel containers for around $35 several years ago.

After the wax mixture is melted, toss in bundles of rope, stir it around with stainless steel tongs, shake the wax out into its container with the tongs, remove the rope bundles and let them dry on a piece of scrap plywood.  When hardened, run the rope through appropriately sized holds drilled in a piece of fairly thick steel angle iron and add the wax scraps back in with the previously molten wax.

Done!

I use the 3/16" od rope for antenna halyards and 3/32" od rope for pull-down ropes that are not under tension.  For pulley support lines that are sleeved with several feet of 3/8" id air compressor hose for the portion of the line that passes through a tree crotch I use a rope that is polyester but has a Kevlar core.  Its od is very close to 3/16, maybe 11/64".  It will absolutely not stretch, and this is important because I don't want the pulley to be pulled away from the tree crotch when the halyard that passes through its sheave is tightened.

Lots of squirrels live near my antenna lines and even in an oak tree that has been used to support a dipole. Only there I did have some nibbling.  I lowered the halyard, removed the gnawed section of rope, and tossed it back in the molten wax to which I added a few tablespoons of spicy chile powder.  This was not  supermarket red pepper nor the what gets sprinkled on pizza. No sir; this was serious stuff--dried and ground habanero peppers (from Southwest Specialty Food, Glendale, AZ).  The problem was ended with the squirrels having what went out just as hot as what went in.

73,

Charles, W2SH
    .