Topband: Bev flex high noise troubleshooting

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Sun Feb 23 18:05:03 EST 2020

On 2/23/2020 2:37 PM, WW3S wrote:
> I assume my next step would be to check all the coax feed lines, what would be the best way to do that?

Hi Jamie,

That's almost always one of the first things to check. I'd start with a
visual inspection, then an ohmmeter check, and a TDR swept from 50-500
MHz. What type of coax and connectors? How were the connectors
installed? Has anything gotten wet? Chewed by varmints? TDR might show
that.

Another possibility is that there's one or more new noise sources in
your neighborhood.

There can also be common mode noise pickup on the coax. Best practice is
to have a serious common mode choke on both ends.

http://k9yc.com/RXChokesTransformers.pdf

73, Jim K9YC