Topband: T Top Verticals and yagis

donovanf at starpower.net donovanf at starpower.net
Thu Feb 27 23:23:23 EST 2020

Hi Ed,

Your conclusions based on your modelling are completely consistent
with my practical experience and modelling.

The most likely degradation is a T-top between 60 and 75 feet long
degrading the front-to-back ratio, pattern and gain of a 40 meter
Yagi when its main beam points into a T-top that's roughly parallel
to the 40 meter Yagi elements.

Only the 40 meter Yagi is affected, especially if the Yagi is within
about 400 feet of a 160 meter T-vertical with a 60-75 foot T-top.
The 160M T-vertical is not affected.

How to avoid degradation of a 40 meter Yagi?
- avoid T-tops between 50 and 75 feet long, or
- use an inverted-L rather then a T-vertical

All of the above is based on actual degradation of my 3 element 40M
Yagi by a 160M T-vertical 40 years ago. Changing the T-vertical to an
inverted-L returned the 40M Yagi to its prior excellent performance

tks

73
Frank
W3LPL