Topband: Conditons, other

daraymond at iowatelecom.net daraymond at iowatelecom.net
Fri Feb 28 12:40:24 EST 2020

Here in the midwest (Iowa) we had some very good conditions to Asia this morning.  When I got to the rig @ 1120z JA1LZR was calling CQ with a 569 signal to get things started.  I then started CQing.  I no sooner started when RT0F/Igor called in with a 579+ signal.  He was so strong I first thought it was a stateside stations answering.  I then went on to work another half dozen JA stations including first time call sign JI1TSD (who was extremely weak but patient) and JH2SON who I had not worked in four years.  JA8ISU and JR7VHZ both had honest 589 signals.

There are a couple of things I’ve begun to notice this season.  I’m seeing more first time call signs (both EU and Asia) than I’ve seen in a while and also some Q’s with stations that I’ve not heard from in 4, 5, or even 10 years.  I’m not sure what to attribute this to but it’s interesting nevertheless.

73. . .Dave, W0FLS