Topband: T Top Verticals and yagis

donovanf at starpower.net donovanf at starpower.net
Fri Feb 28 17:08:09 EST 2020

Hi Paul,

A little modelling will answer the question more completely and
accurately than I can answer it in writing.

I was referring to the case where a 40 meter Yagi is on one tower and
a T-vertical with a top length of 60-75 feet is suspended between the
tower and a fairly nearby second tower. Lets say -- for the purpose of
discussion -- that the two towers are in a north-south line.

If you point the 40M Yagi East or West (perhaps +/- 45 degrees), the
top of the T-vertical will be either below the Yagi or off to its side.
If its less than 70 feet below the Yagi, the T-top will significantly degrade
the performance of the 40M Yagi. Its is off to the side of the Yagi with
a separation of at least 35 feet or so, degradation of the Yagi will be
minimal. Detailed evaluation is best done by modelling, its very easy
to do.

73
Frank
W3LPL