Topband: 160m vertical saltwater grounding

Ignacy Misztal no9e at arrl.net
Thu Jan 9 09:32:18 EST 2020

 I operated on a pier over salt water on 160m in 3 locations. Once with
baloon for an inv L. KW with short antenna creates special problems. See my
message yesterday.

Short radials will have extremely high voltage at a KW level. Small metal
plate on salt water may have water sizzling or would introduce losses.

I would try to have 1-4 elevated radials as long as possible. 15 to 50 ft.
Then the transformer needs to be wound with teflon wire to prevent sparcing
and heating due to high voltages.

Ignacy, NO9E