Topband: de n7dd

Paul Christensen w9ac at arrl.net
Thu Jan 9 16:52:18 EST 2020

You can try several paralleled doorknob caps to lower ESR, thus minimize cap heating.  In my case, one vacuum variable will replace the HEC doorknob pair.

In the alternative, an air variable in a WX-proof enclosure should work fine.  You can compute the peak voltage across the cap as well as average current in TLW software that's included in recent editions of the ARRL Antenna Book.  Once the peak operating voltage is known, you can obtain an air-variable cap with adequate plate spacing.

Polycarbonate tool boxes from Lowes or Home Depot make great weatherproof enclosures when base-feeding an antenna.  The side walls are sturdy and many models have a gasketed rubber seal that forms around the lid's perimeter.

Paul, W9AC