Topband: Source for durable ladder line?

Mike Waters mikewate at gmail.com
Sun Jan 12 21:05:39 EST 2020

Exactly how much is "a *lot* of loss", Jeremy? Too many knowledgeable
Topbanders have used it over the years --with great success-- for it to
have enough loss to matter.

Extra loss can even improve the F/B ratio! One famous Topbander (Earl
Cunningham, K6SE; SK) replaced his galvanized steel electric fence wire
with Copperweld. He soon took the Copperweld back down and replaced it with
the plated steel wire, because of that property. You can read all about
that here in the searchable Topband Archives.

I use that electric fence wire (probably cadmium plated) myself on my 580'
reversible Beverages. I don't  need a preamp to bring up the noise floor,
and I doubt that is any different with the WD-1A.

I live in southwest Missouri, and there can be a lot of QRM and RFI from
the east coast on my NE-SW Beverage. Reverse it, though, and all that
disappears so we can copy VKs and ZLs to the SW. I'm convinced the extra
loss helps.

73, Mike
W0BTU