Topband: Beverage impedance change in cold WX solved

Mike Waters mikewate at gmail.com
Wed Jan 22 15:26:59 EST 2020

This is interesting, Steve. A couple of questions:

1. Just to be clear, Was this a two- or a single-wire Beverage? In my tests
here, changing the termination resistance (at the shack end) on my two-wire
Beverages had an almost zero effect on the pattern or F/B ratio. That
seemed to be true even if I did not use a termination resistor. Others have
reported similar results.
  Of course, that is not the case with a single-wire Beverage terminated at
the far end. I assume that yours was.

2. Was your resistor an Ohmite type OX or OY? That's what I and many other
folks use.

3. What effect does this have on the F/B ratio? That would be easy to
determine during the daytime using AM broadcast stations.
There also ought to be an easy way to model how this 10% change (!) in
termination R affects the F/B ratio. It *would* affect the return loss.