Topband: CQ WW Contest

David Olean k1whs at metrocast.net
Wed Jan 29 11:10:41 EST 2020

I think a lot depends on where you were located.  I am in southern Maine
about 30 miles from salt water. I did a fair amount of listening for DX
stations. I did not call CQ except for two brief periods late at night.
My impression was that signals were not as good as many recent nights
that I would call "excellent". Many big stations that are 599 on my K3 S
meter on good evenings were hovering around S5 or maybe a bit better.
Other stations that are normally good, were drifting down into my noise
level with QSB.  I also noted that many EU stations did not answer me
when  I called. After 5 or 6 tries, I would press ALT-W and go on up the
band.  That could be the high QRM level in Europe as well as conditions.
I just had the feeling that i was weak on the path to Europe. It
happened all the time.  In my listening, I heard many stations farther
south (W4 & W5) calling stations and I was surprised that they could
hear them at all, seeing how weak they were here.  I began to think that
something broke here!  K1DG was on in Maine from his island in the
middle of salt water, and he seemed to do very well. I don't know what
to say as I do not have the experience to adequately explain what
happened.  Maybe if I called CQ for more than 45 minutes total I would
have a different feel for how condx were. My take is that absorption can
be quite variable over a fairly narrow geographical area, say a few
hundred miles.

Dave K1WHS