Topband: Soldering aluminum coax shield to copper wire

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Tue Jun 2 01:32:17 EDT 2020

On 6/1/2020 8:11 PM, Jim Brown wrote:
> On 6/1/2020 7:42 PM, Chuck Hutton wrote:
>> I wish to solder copper wire to the shield.
>
> I understand the question, but since you've so far received no
> done.
>
> 73, Jim K9YC

OK, I'll give a response:

At the 2014 Dayton Hamvention, there was a guy
selling what was marked:

"Low Temperature Aluminum Repair Rod."

I purchased a few dozen rods, but never used them.

They came with a very detailed instruction sheet
that said they could be mail ordered from the
guy at this address:

Robert Dunbar
453679 Creek Avenue
Afton, OK 74331

I checked QRZ, and he doesn't appear to
be any of the 7 "Robert Dunbar" hams
on QRZ.  You could invest 55 cents and mail
to the address I showed.

BTW, the instructions specifically recommended
against your motor oil method.  Instead, the
work piece must be degreased.

I also googled "Low Temperature Aluminum Repair Rod"
and the first hit produced:

aluminumrepair.com

This site seems to be the motherlode for this stuff.
They certainly talk a good game, just like the guy at Dayton did.
The site owner is "New Technology Products" in Houston, FWIW.

If you try these out, post your results, good or bad, on this
reflector.

Good luck!

Rick N6RK