Topband: Northern Summer Stew

Phil Hartwell vk6gx at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 22 21:32:32 EDT 2020

Hi All,

Like Luke VK3HJ, I only managed to work one stateside station, K7RAT and
that was a battle due to the northern hemisphere QRN that Don, WD8DSB
mentioned is a great impediment and deterrent to many. I noted
particularly intense thunderstorm activity north of Fort Worth, TX and I
congratulate anyone who managed to hear anything through that. It must
have been a terrific sky show! Incidentally, I always monitor lightning
trackers to see if stations in my target area have a realistic chance of
hearing me through their QRN, (not to mention man-made QRM), and locally
to know when to go QRT as storms approach. Propagation seemed very poor
in all directions, No EU's heard, only a couple of weak Asiatic Russians
in the All Asia contest and even normally very strong JA's were very
weak. As far as Stateside is concerned, I only heard six stations on my
phased Beverages, K0RF, W4GE, N4BP, K5KG, N3BB and K7RAT, plus K3EST and
KL7SB in the AA Contest. K5KG was strongest, peaking at 559 at his SR,
all others were S3 or less.

In recent months, there has been very little propagation from VK6 to
east coast USA, even Jon, AA1K is rarely heard and the most regular
contact has been Steve, VE6WZ.

If anyone in W1 and VE1 is interested at attempting long path QSO's in
Sept/Oct. let me know. It is not uncommon at that time of year and
typically happens 20 to 30 minutes after my SR. It was easy with Jack,
VE1ZZ.

Thanks to Tree and the Boring ARC for running the event, hopefully the
Low Band Jack will provide better propagation and less QRN for both
hemispheres.

73, Phil VK6GX.

https://www.avg.com