Topband: Inverted L with elevated radials for topband

Gabriel - EA6VQ ea6vq_ml at dxmaps.com
Thu Mar 5 13:02:07 EST 2020

I have some doubts about installing and inverted L with elevated radials for
160m.  I have been searching in Google and find some contradictory
information, so I would appreciate very much if you can help me with your
own experience.

The antenna would be supported by a 16 m (52.5 ft) high fiberglass pole
placed on top of a 3m (10 ft) high small tower with the horizontal part of
the L slopping down to a 5 m (16 ft) high mast about 23 m (75 ft) away.  Two
to four tuned elevated radials can be placed, although they will have to be
bent due to space restrictions.

Now the doubts:

What impedance can I expect at the feed point with this configuration?

How to match it in order to feed it with a 50 ohm cable?  Some pages say
that no match is required, only a choke. Other pages say a hairpin is
necessary as the impedance can be too low. So other say that a tuner at the
base is required?    I am confused L

What performance for DX can be achieved by this antenna?  Is it really good
or do you have some better suggestion for a really small lot where no ground
radials are possible?

Would it be worth to use a higher fiberglass pole, let's say 4 m (13 ft)
higher, in order to lengthen the vertical section of the L?  Would the
difference be noticeable?

Anyone has real experience setting up this antenna with elevated radials?
Most information I can find on Internet is related to ground mounted
antennas.

Thanks in advance!

73. Gabriel - EA6VQ