Topband: EU condx last night

VE6WZ_Steve ve6wz at shaw.ca
Fri Mar 6 15:57:40 EST 2020

Last night the trans-polar EU path was open to VE6 although the QSB was very deep.  22 EU made it into my log.
At first the band seemed poor, with only very weak signals bubbling at the noise level.

Bob W7RH appeared to have the spotlight working some N EU that I couldn't hear.
For me the band started to open up around 0300z with LA1MFA and then RC3FL and SM4DHF.  Around 0425 Roger G3YRO was CQing with a great 579 signal, and it took a while to get his attention, but we did QSO. 3 other G stations and Ron GW3YDX also made it. 3 OH, a few PA, LY, F, DL and SP9JZU and Jan OM3XW also had good signals.  It was great to work Rino IK7JTF who was very solid, but only on the QSB peaks.
I was QRV through EU SR and shut down at about 0630z. As always, it can be slow going- only 22 DX QSOs after 3.5 hrs of CQing, but patience seems to prevail on 160m as we wait for the QSB, and the EU ops to wake up and get their morning coffee.  I’m sure that the F1 key is going to wear out on my keyboard!

There were a few EU ops calling CQ with good signals and wondering where all the NA stations were, but at 0600z, I’m betting most were sleeping!

Perhaps the band will be open again tonight to allow a few EU SSB contacts in the contest??

73, de steve ve6wz