Topband: Hi Z amplifiers for 160m

John Kaufmann john.kaufmann at verizon.net
Thu Mar 12 07:13:48 EDT 2020

Lee,
I think you are confusing voltage and power.  For incoherent sources like amplifier noise, the voltages of multiple incoherent sources add in a root-sum-squared (RSS) fashion.  The voltage of the sum of eight incoherent sources is square root of eight times a single noise source, assuming equal combining ratios.  However, because power is proportional to the square of voltage, then the *power* of the combined sum is the sum of the individual noise powers.  This is well known in the theory of random processes, which is the basis of communications theory.  So, what I said earlier is correct.  For a system with eight amplifiers, the effective total noise power in the sum is eight times the individual noise powers when the sources are combined with equal weights.  The YCCC array does not use equal weights, so the powers have be weighted when combining them to get the total noise power.
73, John W1FV