Topband: Slightly OT - amplifier noise

n2icarrl at gmail.com n2icarrl at gmail.com
Sat Mar 14 12:40:30 EDT 2020

This discussion of Hi Z amplifiers has been quite interesting. Excellent
information from W1FV and K7TJR.

I have an RX amp question, related but slightly off-topic.

I have an MFJ-1025/1026 noise canceler. I like to use it on the higher HF bands
to cancel power line QRN. The noise is typically S3-S4, but I want it down to S0
to hear the bottom layer of stations. My sense antenna works fine, and the QRN
is canceled. However, the MFJ-1025 amplifier noise is quite significant, often
negating the QRN cancellation. The MFJ amplifiers are J310's. Any
recommendations for something quieter ?

73,
Steve, N2IC