Topband: Slightly OT - amplifier noise

Dave Cuthbert telegrapher9 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 14 17:13:09 EDT 2020

Steve, I ran a SPICE model of the MFJ-1095 front end. What gain there is
resides there. The next three stages have unity gain. The input noise is:

1.8 MHz, 50 nV/Hz^0.5

7.0 MHz, 26 nV/Hz^0.5

14 MHz, 19 nV/Hz^0.5

28 MHz, 13 nV/Hz^0.5

Depending on the input stage gain (I'm modeling 1 to 2 depending on the
transformer) the three following stages can up the noise by 4-5 dB.

At 7 MHz the 26 nV/Hz^0.5 is 580 nV in a 500 Hz bandwidth, or -112 dBm.
This is 2.5 S-units. *What receiver are you using, what band and what is
the bandwidth? *

     Dave KH6AQ