Topband: NVIS Antenna

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Sun Mar 15 14:35:53 EDT 2020

Hi Ed,

I've studied this extensively for horizontally polarized antennas, but
only for flat ones; I thin that inverted Vees have some vertical
components.

For horizontally polarized antennas, maximum gain at high angles occurs
at a mounting height of about 75 electrical degrees, and falls by only
about 1 dB if raised to 120 electrical degrees. By "high," I'm talking
70 degrees elevation.

Also, RX is different from TX, in that with RX we don't care about loss,
only signal to noise. Ground loss is a contributor to those variations
based on mounting height. N6RO, an old hand on topband with a great
antenna farm, rearranges his M/6 station for topband contests to bring
LOTS of his antennas to the station he uses single-op.

That study is here.  http://k9yc.com/AntennaPlanning.pdf

73, Jim K9YC