Topband: CQ...CQ...CQ

Hugh Valentine HSVDDS at outlook.com
Tue Mar 17 20:39:14 EDT 2020

Great Idea!!!
Keeps Ham O Holics Alive

Val

________________________________
From: Topband <topband-bounces+hsvdds=outlook.com at contesting.com> on behalf of VE6WZ_Steve <ve6wz at shaw.ca>
Sent: Tuesday, March 17, 2020 7:15:02 PM
To: topband <topband at contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: CQ...CQ...CQ

With many hams around the world staying home and "practicing social distancing” to “flatten the CV-19 curve”, what a great time to be on the radio!

Lets get out there and call CQ to stir up the band. (or ANY band for that matter)

There may be some out there that somehow think calling CQ is just for the rare DX, and not for the average ham.  I know there are many that have no interest in woking just “plain old DX” that aren't new DXCC counters.  I also realize there are many that live in high noise city locations that have a legitimate “alligator risk” by calling CQ.
However, to state the obvious, if no one calls CQ, no one is going to work anyone!  The conclusion will be “the band is dead”.

Speaking of another benefit of RBN…..one comment…..”if I look at my waterfall and don't see any traces, then the band is dead”. Well….often NOT true.  It is not unusual to see a blank pan-adapter, but then when checking the RBN there is NO-ONE calling CQ….anywhere in the world!  Is the band really dead?? How do we know it's dead if no one is calling? (And yes, there are enough RBN skimmers worldwide that almost any CQ will be decoded within a few seconds)  Many nights I have CQ'd into a “dead band” (blank pan-adapter, but also no RBN activity) and been rewarded with lots of EU DX callers.

There are a number of NA stalwarts calling CQ regularly on TB and a handful from EU, VK and JA, but it would be great to see more activity. (last night I heard Jon AA1K filling his log with EU). This winter I have worked quite a few EU that have been running 100w from backyard antennas so it's not limited to the big guns.

For those that lament that everyone is on FT-8, perhaps it would be a good idea to get on the band and make some CW noise instead of waiting for some else to call CQ???  Thats what the FT-8 guys are doing…they hit the send key on the FT-8 program and wait to see what happens.  There is a lot of FT-8 CQing going on…every 15 seconds, for hours.  Maybe thats why it seems there is more DX being worked on that mode?  This season I have logged 1,587 EU QSOs on CW with 498 unique callsigns, so CQing can be rewarding. 113 DXCC since August. This has been one of the best TB seasons here at VE6WZ.  The season is not over yet.

While stuck at home, turn on the radio and call CQ….on ANY band.  See what happens.  Kinda like “old school” radio…using the “legacy" mode.
CQ..CQ…CQ…..
Why not?

73, de steve ve6wz