Topband: 8 vs 4 direction 4-SQ?

John Kaufmann john.kaufmann at verizon.net
Thu Mar 19 17:11:02 EDT 2020

For signals that arrive from directions that are in between the main lobe headings of a 4-square, you will lose up to a few dB of S/N compared to having 8 directions.  Whether that matters to you is purely a personal performance vs. complexity/cost decision.  If 90% of what you work is covered by 4 directions, then 4 directions may be good enough.  If you don't want to give up any performance in any direction, then go for 8 directions.  There is no right or wrong answer.

73, John W1FV