Topband: Spurious transmissions on 1830 khz by CKTB (610 kHz), St. Catharines ON

David Olean k1whs at metrocast.net
Thu Mar 26 14:32:07 EDT 2020

Good question Roy

I was hearing the St Catherine station very loud on 1830, but with
intermittent periods where it would dropout. This was at a time with
high winds in the NE.  I suspected that it might be a problem at my
shack, so I tried to find CKTB and it is on the same frequency as a
local station in NH on 610.  I can hardly hear it on my radio due to
interference from that local station. It was about S9 or -70 dBm as near
as I could tell with a beverage receiving antenna, but there are many
more stations that are at -40 or even -30 dBm coming in at the same
time. There is a local station in the next town, 8 miles distant that is
on 930 MHz. I do hear a very weak 2nd harmonic of it on 1860. It is not
much of a problem compared to the station in Canada many hundreds of
miles away. If I had a local rectification problem, it would involve the
strongest local stations and not something I can hardly copy. Still, I
wondered at first and then made some measurements looking for other
distortion/rectification problems. All I see is the 3rd harmonic of the
610 Canadian station.

73

Dave K1WHS