Topband: Skewed polar path condx

Don Kirk wd8dsb at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 12:13:23 EDT 2020

Hi Steve,

Interesting that you mentioned path distortion.  I did not notice path
distortion (what I was calling flutter) on the European signals I was
copying this morning, but I did notice it on you and other North American
signals.  I mentioned this to another ham this morning as it was indeed odd
sounding, and don't notice it very often.

I was still using my RX antenna pointed at EU (40 degrees) to copy European
stations this morning versus my RX antenna that points 160 degrees, but my
receive antennas are very broad and I'm not nearly as far North or West as
you.

Looking at my notes, I did hear IZ2EWR calling you this morning and he was
decent copy near Indianapolis (peaking 6 dB over my noise floor), but don't
think you worked him.  All in all very poor conditions this morning but I
was able to work the usual UK stations and ON4CT which surprised me because
he was right at my noise floor (I think we both only run 100 watts).

73, and always great hearing you pull stations out of the mud.
Don (wd8dsb)