Topband: 160m Vertical

donovanf at starpower.net donovanf at starpower.net
Fri May 15 11:27:49 EDT 2020

Hi Ron,

A more reliable approach is a tuner in your shack. The extra coax
cable loss from elevated VSWR is insignificant on topband.

How high up the band do you want to go and at what maximum VSWR?

A resonant Rohn 25 160M vertical will be about 124 feet tall for
resonance around 1820 kHz

If for some reason you must install a tuner at the feed point of the
vertical, follow Tree's advice and make it slightly short: 120 feet
of 115 ft if you need to tune for minimum VSWR above 1900 kHz.

Use a small tapped inductor to tune it around the band.

73
Frank
W3LPL