Topband: OT - Bonding Radials at Intersections

donovanf at erols.com donovanf at erols.com
Fri Nov 6 00:46:29 EST 2020

Hi Bob,

While bonding the radials is desirable, its not essential. But you
must NOT cross the radials over each other.

The radials of a multi-element vertical array are usually bonded to
a common wire bisecting the verticals where they would otherwise
cross over each other. See this figure by K6LA:

https://ac6la.com/adhoc/radials3.png

I modelled phased vertical arrays where the radials are laid out exactly
as shown by K6LA but without the bisecting wire. In this configuration
the radials that would have been bonded to the bisecting wire are instead
simply continued to the bottom of the adjacent vertical. The model shows
absolutely no difference in the performance of a multi-element vertical
array with -- or without -- the bisecting wire(s). I built my 160 meter
4-square array in this fashion -- without the bisecting wires -- and its
performance is excellent.

73
Frank
W3LPL