Topband: OT - Bonding Radials at Intersections

Wes wes_n7ws at triconet.org
Sat Nov 7 02:02:40 EST 2020

You save me a lot of writing.  This is my thought experiment.  Just another
point or two. 1) the more radials there are the lower the current in each.  With
enough radials, the currents are milliamps, unless you're running the megawatts
I spoke of earlier.  2) If there are two (or more) verticals, the power divides
and there is even less current per radial.

Now consider two verticals driven in phase.  The radial currents will also be in
phase and even if they cross there is no voltage difference between them so
there is no arc.  You can tie them together if you like but it serves no
function other than to change the resonant frequency of the shortened radials
and upset the current distribution.  Yes, they do have a resonant frequency,
they are after all open ended transmission lines.

Now consider the case where the verticals are driven out of phase.  The radial
currents are also out of phase and there will a maximum voltage gradient between
them.  This however, is the DESIRED condition.  Short the ends together and you
upset the phasing.  I have no idea how significant this is, as I said this is a
thought experiment not a thesis.

Wes  N7WS